All I want for Christmas

Y’know that post I did a few months ago, “But Daddy I want it Now!”? Yeah, well.  

Originally we hoped to break ground in August.  But, thanks to the late spring and the ongoing “is it a wetland” story line, everything was pushed off, and we weren’t able to start drawing plans until late June.  That’s not a one-time deal — we met every few weeks all summer, and, by November, we were pretty much ready to start the next steps:  bids, permits and finalizing financing.  Slowly, but surely, the wheels started turning.  Or, perhaps a better metaphor would be, the bricks were being lain, one by one? 

At this point we were hoping for a December 1 ground breaking.  

Bids were easy.  Our wonderful builders could handle that, and they did fine.  

Financing was our job.  We did everything right — then were told it would take at least 2 weeks to get everything done, even though we had been completely pre-approved.  Really? And we had not one but two loans:  one using the equity on our current home, then a construction loan for the rest.  Tow loans, two appraisals, two closings, twice the paperwork and layers of bureaucracy.

But financing was the a piece of cake compared to the permit process.  Midway through the plan-drawing process, Mike the architect took the preliminary plans to the Gus the city guy, an old buddy, to get a quick opinion on how we were doing.  Gus said in the long run the plans would probably be approved, but it would take 4 weeks, because it would need to go through planning commission and then general council.  UNLESS we made a change — move the house back on the property.  The existing home doesn’t meet current setback laws, but we were allowed to use a point of it as a jumping off spot.  However, that would require scrutiny.  Screw that — we just moved the house back.  Bam.  Easy-peasy, right?

Not so fast, Mr Wrecking Ball.  Remember that ever-loving wetland issue we resolved in June? Evidently, as we went through the permit process, John the Builder discovered that someone (whom is up for nasty debate right now) didn’t re-submit the paperwork, so nothing official was on file.  So we needed to file again (another 2 week process).  Then, all neighbors within a certain area would be allowed 14 days to comment.  On what?  Hadn’t we all agreed on this before?  The neighbors just want us to get the building started already!

So now we are waiting.  Still. Again.  I am feeling very Grinchy these days.  Our Christmas card was supposed to be of us knocking the old house down.  At this rate, it will be a President’s day card!  Hope your holidays are filled with light and joy.  Right now, my stocking feels full of lumps of concrete.

About DonniT

Born in Georgia, raised in California, and living in Minnesota for almost 2 decades, I have lots of different ways of looking at the world. Married to my college sweetheart, surviving being a Navy Mom to Sailor Boy and helping Singer Girl achieve her dreams of college and stardom. Constantly trying to outwit my Labradoodle while rescuing dogs. Love to read, shop, entertain, volunteer, travel, plan, and dream!

Posted on December 17, 2013, in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: